Bible Journaling with Heartfelt Creations

Hello and Welcome!

It's another Heartfelt Creations Wednesday, and I've decided to do something a little different with the gorgeous "Sparkling Poinsettia" collection this week!  I'm super excited, and I hope you will be by the end of this post as well!  While you visit, I want you to keep people in mind who would enjoy this idea...because what I'm about to share with you coupled with a beautiful card will make one special gift for someone on your holiday list this year!

Have you heard of Bible Journaling?  I don't just mean writing notes in your Bible or a separate journal...I mean adding artwork...whether it be your own hand drawn art or by using rubber stamps, scrapbooking papers, etc.  

I recently purchased an ESV Journaling Bible and decided to give this a try.  The one benefit that I have found with studying the Bible this way is that while you are creating, you really have the time to meditate on what you've read and what the Word has spoken to you.  I also find that I recall what I have read much better!

Now, it dawned on me one day that there were images in the "Sparkling Poinsettia" collection that would be perfect for Bible Journaling!  I decided to use several stamps, and to fussy cut some images from within the paper pack to show you just how well both of these methods would work!

Let's take a look...



As you can see, I've stamped the babe in the manger image and also used one of the sentiment strips from the paper collection.  I've added a sequin to the centre of the star and added some Stickles to the star as well as the word "gift".  

Here's a closer peek...


Now how about a look at the second page...


I once again used a stamp from the collection and decided to fussy cut some of the smaller images from the paper collection.  I've once again added sequins and Stickles to the sentiment image.  

Here's a close up...


I have to admit a little secret...I cannot draw, and when I first saw Bible Journaling, I was a tad disappointed thinking it would not be for me!  Then I started seeing that a few people were using stamps...and I thought I could certainly handle that...and why not use some paper from paper collections that would fit into the devotionals I was doing.  After all, there is not a wrong way of doing this as far as I can tell.  It's time spent with God while using your creative side!

Now, at the beginning of this blog post I mentioned pairing this with a beautiful holiday card.  Imagine presenting someone with a Journaling Bible this holiday season in which you have already added a few embellishments and images as a personal touch and gift from you along with a card from the same paper collection.  Wouldn't that make a great gift idea for a granddaughter, grandson, prayer sister, etc.  The reason I say to you to add in a few images already completed is because you cannot imagine how many of us have sat and stared at our journaling Bibles for weeks before daring to make that first entry!  LOL  

Here's the Christmas card I created for this set!
I loved the sentiment which was on a premade card panel!
It totally went with the idea that I was wanting to portray in the journaling in the Word.  

 Here it is...


I decided to cut the sentiment into strips so I could arrange it the way I wanted to around the fussy cut image I added to the square premade card panel.  I fashioned two poinsettias and some leaves.
I did make a tiny boo boo with my flowers this go round.  I had wanted to add glitter to them before adhering them to the card...and I forgot.  As I sat in my craft room, I spied some glitter hairspray from my daughters old dance days.....welllllll....you know me.....you can try anything once!  LOL
And, I sprayed those flowers with that glitter hairspray!  Ha, ha, ha!
Well, it wasn't enough glitter for me as it was soooo  very fine....so I spotted a small container of gold glitter way back in the back of my shelving....wellll.....yup, I dumped some on there while the hairspray was still wet!  Now we have sparkle!  Now the hairspray I was using was Walmart Halloween discount junk...it was good enough for those dance recitals where you needed to use one spray can a recital.  However, I wasn't sure it would hold that gold glitter on...soooooo...off to the bathroom I went to give those flowers a good spritz of my salon hairspray!  
I know...by now you think I've lost it and I'm certifiable!

Here's a close up of those glitzy and sparkling poinsettias...

I added the card front to a 6"x6" card base and decided to place a matching panel inside this time as well, complete with a sentiment cut apart from another premade card panel.

Here's a peek...


And there you have it!
I hope I've inspired you today!
Maybe I've even given you a Christmas gift idea...or maybe you want to put this on your Christmas wish list!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing Christmas in July with me!
Hope you pop in again soon!
And, don't forget to stop by the Heartfelt Creations blog to take in the beautiful Christmas in July projects the rest of the incredible and talented design team have created!

Until next time...

Project Supplies & Instructions

Bible Journaling Pages
 HCDP1-256  Sparkling Poinsettia Paper Pack
HCPC-3683  Joy To The World Cling Stamp Set

Other Products Used:  VersaFine Black Ink, VersaColor Pine Cone Ink, Xyron Sticker Maker, Spectrum Noir Blendable Pencils 024, 097, 103, 007, 085, 086, 065, 047 & 050, Spectum Noir blending stumps & blending solution, Stickles - Crystal & Gold, Illustrated Faith Alpha Stickers & Bible mat, sequins, paper trimmer, scissors, Journaling Bible, small glue dots

The passage that has been journaled here is the birth of Christ in Luke chapter 2.  First Page Instructions:  Begin by stamping the babe in a manger image onto the corner of your journaling Bible page. (Note:  you must use a permanent ink for this application and it will show through slightly on the other side of the page.)  Color using blendable pencils and blending solution.  Locate the sentiment strip pictured in photo and cut to size to accent the side of the margin as shown.  Ink all edges with a brown colored ink.  Adhere to Bible margin.  Choose the color, size and font of alpha stickers you wish to use and stick within the white space of the Bible margin as shown.  Fussy cut a small section of poinsettias from within the paper collection and add to bottom of sentiment strip joining the stamped image and the sentiment strip together.  Using a small glue dot, adhere sequin to the centre of the star.  Apply gold Stickles to the star image and crystal Stickles to the word "gift" and allow to dry.  (Your pages may wrinkle slightly where you have applied the glitter, however once dry and after having the Bible closed several days your pages will actually lay quite flat once again.)
Second Page Instructions:  Once again begin by stamping the Sentiment stamp as shown.  Color around the lettering using the pencil colors of your choice.  Locate the small images shown from within the paper collection and fussy cut, along with the same sentiment strip you used on the first page.  Ink all edges of the fussy cut pieces with brown ink.  Adhere all fussy cut pieces, slightly overlapping as shown to the margin of your journaling Bible.  Using small glue dots, adhere three sequins to the top of the stamped sentiment.  Outline the top decoration of the sentiment with gold Stickles.  Apply crystal Stickles to the letters of the sentiment.  Allow to dry.  You have now completed the decorating portion of your journaling Bible for Luke 2 - take time to reflect on the story and the gift that was given as you complete this project.  You may now also add any personal notes you wish journal about in and around the embellishments.  Coupled with a beautiful card, this would make a wonderful Christmas gift for a loved one, friend or prayer partner.


Coordinating Christmas Card
 HCDP1-256  Sparkling Poinsettia Paper Collection
HCPC-3680  Sparkling Poinsettia Cling Stamp Set
HCD1-766  Sparkling Poinsettia Die
HCST1-401  Deluxe Flower Shaping Tool Kit
TSMP707  Memento Dye Ink Pad - Bamboo Leaves
TSMP708  Memento Dye Ink Pad - Olive Grove
TSMP301  Memento Dye Ink Pad - Rhubarb Stalk
TSMP103  Memento Dye Ink Pad - Cantaloupe
TSMP808  Memento Dye Ink Pad - Espresso Truffle
SMP001  Stamp Mat Pad
273900  Zip Dry Glue

Other Products Used:  VersaFine Black Ink, VersaColor Pine Cone Ink, Memento Dye Ink Pad - Angel Pink & Lady Bug, Aged Ochre Embossing Enamel, BigShot manual die cutting machine, gold edged pearls, glitter hairspray, regular hairspray, heat tool, Martha Stewart fine gold glitter, scissors, paper trimmer, gold seed beads, Viva Decor InkaGold metallic paint, white card stock, Xyron Sticker Maker, sponge finger daubers, water, mist bottle

Locate the premade card panel shown within the Sparkling Poinsettia paper collection, as well as the image located on the left side of the card and the sentiment strips as shown on the top and bottom of the card. Fussy cut the shepherd image and trim sentiment strips to the correct size.  Ink the edges of all the pieces including the premade card panel with a brown colored ink.  Adhere sentiment strips and fussy cut image to card panel as shown. Using a heat tool, melt your embossing enamel to the upper corner above the image as well as the opposite lower corner.  Next locate the small greeting card panel that has the verse as shown.  Cut the verse into strips and ink all edges with a brown colored ink.  Adhere to card front.  Next ink one stamping of the Poinsettia Cling Stamp Set in Memento Expresso Truffle.  Using a finger dauber, start building your pink and red tone inks onto the stamped images.  Die cut using the coordinating die.  Using a small spritz of water and the deluxe flower shaping tool kit, shape two double poinsettias.  Using your finger tip, apply just a small amount of the Viva Decor Gold Metallic paint to various areas on the flowers.  Add gold colored seed beads to the centre of each bloom. Adhere to card front.  Stamp one inking of the holly leaves again using the Espresso Truffle ink.  Once again using finger daubers, build your green ink colors onto the images working from lightest to darkest tones.  Shape using a spritz of water as well as the deluxe flower shaping tool kit.  Melt a small amount of embossing enamel onto each leaf using a heat tool.  Adhere among the flowers as shown.  Apply a few sprays of glitter hairspray to each flower.  While the hairspray is still wet, sprinkle a tiny amount of fine loose glitter to each bloom.  Then set with a strong hairspray.  To finish add three large gold trimmed pearls as shown. Adhere card front to a 6"x6" card base.  
To complete the inside of the card, locate the matching premade card panel that you've used on the front of the card and trim down slightly so you will have a white border around the panel when mounted. Ink all edges using a brown colored ink.  Locate the "Christmas Blessings" sentiment strip and cut to size to add to the top and bottom of the inside card panel, mimicking the way the front sentiment strips have been applied.  Locate the small premade greeting panel with the verse pictured.  Cut into strips as you did previously with the front verse.  Ink all edges with a brown colored ink.  Adhere to card as shown.  Using a heat tool, melt embossing enamel onto the card panel as you did with the card front.  Adhere card panel to the inside of the card. 
This card has been created to complement the Bible Journaling pages showcased on todays post.  Coupled with a personalized Journaling Bible this would make an excellent holiday gift set for that special loved one, friend or prayer partner on your holiday list.





4 comments

Karan Gerber said...

beautiful bible journal page, wonderful inspiration, love your poinsettias too :D

Candy's Creations Blog said...

Beautifully done!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Tracey, this is a fascinating post for me. My mom began writing in her Bible when it was still considered a sacrilege to do so. She underlined in colors, wrote notes, and.....drew pictures. I am blessed to have some of her beautifully personalized Bibles in my possession now that she has gone on to be with the Lord. I had no idea that Bible journaliing had become trendy! I absolutely love this idea...and I love the way you have enhanced these beautiful Scriptures. It makes sense that the journaling process would help you retain the Scripture better...as you are using both sides of your brain at the same time. Anyway..the page is beautiful and the card is gorgeous. And, as to the boo boo with your flowers...there are no mistakes in crafting...just opportunities! Your flowers are stunning! Thanks for today's beautiful moment, and for unlocking a precious memory of my dear mom for me. Hugs!

SussiPoppins said...

Hi, Sorry I am so late getting to you. Been on a long weekend. Love both your posts. The bible journalling took my attention. Love it! Inky hugs

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!