An Attempt at Steam Punk...

Do you ever have one of those cards that you just put off creating until just the last minute because you frankly don't know where to go with it? 
Well, if you do I'm happy to say that you are in good company.  I usually like to have my cards done well ahead of time for challenges that are being posted, but this time I got it done just barely in time.  It's not that I hadn't been thinking about what I could do...I just dreaded doing it because it was a theme I had never attempted before.  

I'm sharing the new challenge with you today that starts at The Crafter's Cafe Challenge Blog.

"Steam Punk"
(must include one metal piece)

Our awesome sponsors for this challenge are...



as well as...



Be sure to check out The Cafe Blog to see what juicy prizes they are tempting you with this go round!

Now, back to the card making business...
I hope I haven't scared you with the challenge.  I've never dabbled in the world of steam punk before.  I love the way it looks...it's just not really my thing.
That being said...here's a peek at what I finally came  up with...


I was lucky to be able to work with the Bugaboo image "Frame It One Day at a Time" which I sprayed down with my Mr. Huey's manilla colored spray.  I cut out a border with the Cameo that has gears running all the way around it.  (Sorry this picture is so crappy...I used Goosebumps for texture on the card and now it's hard to photograph because it's all shiny!)  I've embossed a metal sheet with a Tim Holtz embossing folder which is tucked in behind the digi stamp.  I've also used the metal sheet to cut out some gears with my Memory Box die (also did some in brown card stock).  I've added a few numbers to the side of the card as well as a vintage photo of a couple on a motorcycle.  The sentiment at the bottom of the card says "Live a little, life is an adventure".  The vintage photo and small sentiment come from a Heartwarming Vintage sheet.  I've added a few metal brads to the top corner, as well as the pointed finger, the mustache, and a male head die cut.  Then I sprayed it down with the goosebumps as mentioned above to give it some texture. 

As I was working on the card, I actually started to enjoy creating it.  It seems the key to steam punk for me was to just keep adding more elements.  I hope you think it came out ok....I likely won't be trying my hand at this again anytime soon!  LOL

It's your turn now...dig around in your stash and see what you can come up with to create a card with that Steam Punk feel.  It's good to get out of your comfort zone once in awhile and stretch your crafting abilities.  Just don't wait too long like I did...the challenge only runs for a week!
Can't wait to see what you come up with!

This card has been shared in the following challenges...
Lexi's Creations..."For the Man/Boy in Your Life"
Cardz 4 Guyz..."Time"
Quirky Crafts Challenges..."The Letter S"  (steam punk)


9 comments

Nancy said...

I'd say you definitely nailed it! Fabulous steampunk work, Tracey! :o)

Cazro said...

Well I hope you do make another Steampunk creation for this has fabulous interest and amazing elements, all in true Steampunk style. Well done and many thanks for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Guyz. xx

Julie B said...

I know what you mean about putting off something you aren't comfortable with, but you made a great card in the end. Thanks for joining in with us over at Cardz4Guyz. :)

ahlers5 said...

More than just an attempt...definitely have it down. I love all the elements you used! Thanks so much for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Paperesse said...

I think you did a great job! Now that you've done one, perhaps you'll want to do more. Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz this week.

JayBe said...

Well, I'm loving your first attempt at Steampunk, Tracey - you did a fab job, love all the different textures. Thanx for sharing with us at Cardz for Guyz and good luck.
Hugz, jan (DT) xx

Helen said...

I love the steampunk style and this is spot on - a great combination of images.

Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz.

Helen x

Spyder said...

The number six on the clock, sprockets,screw brads, steampunk, sentiment and aren't they sitting on bikes too

Spyder said...

sorry....it went before I'd finished!!>....Lovely creation for our S challenge just finished over on the Quirky Crafts Blog! Thank you so much for joining in! Winners will be posted later...
((Lyn)) DT

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!