Please Mr. Postman...

"...Look and See,
If there's a Letter in your Bag for Me..."

Do you remember the days before email and texting?  Can you remember looking through the mail to see if there was a letter or card for you?  Didn't receiving that snail mail always make you feel so very special?  Our postal service recently removed delivery to our end of the driveway mailbox and I cannot tell you how sad the kids and I were to see that go.  It was always such a treat to walk to the end of the driveway and wonder if there was something special waiting for you in that box.  It was just another action that took the personal relationship out of the equation.  Part of the treat was when we would meet our mailman at the box and make small talk with him before he was on his way.  The kids loved leaving him special treats such as baked goods to brighten his job and his day!  Now that the mailbox is several miles away, we no longer get to visit with our "everyday Santa" and we rarely think about leaving him anything.  It seems as we go more and more digital and want to try to simplify our lives and make them run more fluidly and seamless,  that we forget about some of the finer traditions of days gone by!  When is the last time someone came over for coffee to your house...or do you mainly meet together in coffee shops?  When is the last time you took time out of your day to call someone on the phone to touch base with them...or do you just send an email or text?  And dare I even ask about the last time you hand wrote a letter?  LOL  Now don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of much of this myself.  It's easy to get caught up in the quick things in life rather than take time to nurture a relationship face to face.  I believe God intended us and designed us to be in relationships.  The Bible talks about where "one or two are gathered in His name" and He didn't have just one disciple. 

 Well today over at Twist of Faith we have a neat challenge that may just inspire you to make a card and even put a hand written message in it...and throw it into that thing they call a mailbox.  Remember?  Our challenge is to make a Postcard/Card and Envelope/Packet!  We are looking for a matching set of  a one layer postcard or a regular card with a packet (ex. seed packet idea) or an envelope without the traditional triangular flap at the back!  Not your typical challenge...time to get that creativity flowing!

Our generous sponsor this week is...


who will be awarding one lucky winner 4 digis of their choice!  How awesome!

I was just tickled pink to be able to work with this gorgeous digi entitled "Alannah".  I set out to coloring her with my Tim Holtz Distress Markers and then started work on the creation I had taking form in my head.  I hunted through my collection of stamps knowing that I had a Christmas Postcard set from Stamp 'n Up somewhere.  Once that had been located, I set out on a hunt for the postcard/script paper I knew I had in my paper collection somewhere as well.  (Craft room needs a good cleaning and rearranging again!  LOL)  And the last elements I needed were some bakers twine and my Glitter Ritz.  I used the script paper for the front part of my postcard.  I stamped the corner of the card with my Christmas postage stamp and stamped the Post Card image along the side all in black.  I then stamped some brown snowflakes on the paper to give it a winter theme.  Of course the paper has been inked with a brown color to give it the aged look. Lastly I adhered my colored digi.

Here's a look...


 I then cut the back portion of the card...just some plain cream colored card stock which I aged with some brown ink.  I added the stamped elements to the back portion so that it can be filled out just as a real postcard would be. 

Take a peek...


And then came the envelope!  Now when I make postcards, I always send them in a clear cellophane envelope...why hide all the creativity and nostalgia I figure.  So...I needed to get a little creative with sprucing this up.  Then it came to me!  I had some washi tape that sorta looked like a postage marking.  I applied it to the cellophane bag and then proceeded to stamp over it with my postage stamp inked with StazOn ink.  I then decided to add a whole bunch of sentiments under the postmark like you would see on a parcel.  I think it turned out looking pretty neat as I tried to keep it on the area where the card itself was more plain. 

Here's a closer look...


And a peek at what the whole package will look like when mailed...

I hope this little package will bring joy to whoever lands up receiving it in their mailbox.  I also hope that I've inspired you to play along in our challenge!  Remember that our twist is that there needs to be an encouraging, uplifting, healing sentiment or scripture verse somewhere on your creation! (Mine are the sentiments on the cellophane envelope.)  I can hardly wait to see what you come up with!  And I'm sure there is someone somewhere who will look forward to receiving your little package in the mail!  

Until next time...

This card has been entered in the following challenges...
Crafty Sentiments Designs..."Anything Goes"
Challenges and Candies..."I'm Writing You a Letter"

9 comments

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Tracey...how beautiful and creative. I loved reading your post. I am so glad I have a mailbox in my driveway. It is a blessing and I always look forward to mailing my cards or notes out and even receiving. You are a blessing. Hugs, Antoinette

Nancy said...

Fabulous post, Tracey! I love what you've written, and your postcard is beautiful! :o)

Papercrafting Princess said...

Love your design and techniques used!

Barb said...

I love both of your projects--thanks for sharing!

StampArt Design by Kathryne said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love your beautiful set. Great job, Tracey. Always a pleasure to sponsor for your challenge. xx

Vanja said...

Fabulous card and envelope!
Thank you for joining us at Challenges and Candies and good luck! :)

hugs
Vanja

Céline said...

so pretty, love the idea
thanks for playing with us at crafty sentiments
hugs
céline

Keti's Projects said...

Gorgeous. Perfect for our challenge. Thanks for inspiration and playing with us at Izazovi i sladkiši.

Hugs, Keti

Andreja said...

Beauatiful card you made! I like your letter and your lovelly image :-))
Thank you so much for joining us at "Izazovi i Slatkiši"
Hugs, Andreja

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!