A Card Request

Happy Thursday!  I hope that wherever you are you are enjoying your day!  I have been up a large part of the night as we were having thunderstorms here with intense lightning and thunder...and my son could not sleep!  It's been a long time since one of our kids has been up with the weather...but last night had a lot of booming and blitzing and I myself was a little unsettled with it!  We may have to have a nap time this afternoon!  LOL

Last week one afternoon I stopped in at my parents and my mom had some not so happy news to share with me.  It would seem that one of my aunts has been diagnosed with cancer.  She had stopped in and visited with mom and dad, and had given them the news that morning.  Now this comes so quickly after the death of one of my uncles, and I do believe the family is somewhat stunned.  My aunt is staying positive and the doctor has told her that the cancer she has is a very good one to have...if you can say that there is a good cancer to have.  He has given her hope that this type they are able to deal with very successfully. 

My mom asked me if I would create a card for her to send to my aunt as an encouragement.  I had an image in mind that I was wanting to use from the Heartwarming Vintage Die Cut Photos collection...however put off the endeavour a bit as I couldn't wrap my head around the color scheme I had to be using.  Funny how sometimes color schemes can seem so daunting...

I decided that I would try using a gate card template I had purchased on the Silhouette Online Store.  To switch things up a bit, I decided to flip it and have it open top and bottom rather than side to side.  I found some brocade style background paper that I thought I could work with.  It totally reminded me of wallpaper you would find in an older Victorian home of days gone by.  I inked it up with some rusts, greens and browns to make it appear more aged and to tie in with the color of the die cut photo.  I also got my Silhouette Cameo humming...cut and colored all of the other embellishments with the Cameo.  This includes the flowers, Victorian frame, and the flourishes.  I added a rhinestone flourish as well for some interest and sparkle.  To the centre of the flowers I added some Cotton Candy Stickles to tie into the color of the ribbon on the little girls dress.  This was the first time I had attempted to make 3D flowers, and was very happy with how they came out...and how easy they were to create.  I bent the petals on the flowers forward with my bone folder to give them the appearance of real flowers.  I inked them in different shades to give them some extra added realism and dimension.  I also inked the flourishes to make them seem aged as well.  Here's a look at how the card came out...


A bit more of a close up...


And a close up of the sentiment...


I was quite happy with how this card turned out, and love the image and the message it gives.  I'm hoping I did okay with the color scheme as I did not find these colors the easiest to work with!  LOL  My biggest wish is that this will encourage my aunt and brighten her day when my mom sends it to her!  It will be a great reminder that she is being thought of and prayed for! 

Well that's pretty much it for me today.  I need to head out the door and get some grocery shopping done.  And mom...I know you're reading this...I'll pop by with the card tomorrow!  Until next time...

This card has been entered into the following challenges...

Twist of Faith Card Challenges..."Gate Card"
Stuck on U Sketches..."Die Cut Flourishes"
Crafting with Dragonflies..."Unusual Fold"
Path of Positivity..."Caring"
Victorine Originals Challenges..."Friendship in Bloom"

16 comments

Ina G said...

It is so sad that we have to make a card for such a time but you have made it a beautiful one. Love your image and all the elements you have added. Lovely soft colours and your flowers are lovely. I am sure your Aunt will feel so much love on receiving your card especially on reading the sentiment. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafting with Dragonflies. Ina. DT

Sheila said...

So sorry to hear your sad news but I am sure your gorgeous card will lift spirits! Thanks so much for joining us at SOUS!

Nancy said...

Your card is beautiful, Tracey! You did a wonderful job with the colour scheme! Congratulations on your Top#3 and prize win over at Twist of Faith! I'm happy to see you've linked up again!
I'm sorry about your Aunt! I will pray for her! :o)

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Tracy, Your card is beautiful and I love how you switched the gatefold opening. It is beautifully decorated. I am loving that sweet picture of the child and prayer. You are a blessing and I am loving your creativity. Thank you for joining us at Twist of Faith.
Hugs,
Antoinette

Brenda said...

What a beautiful card! I love the vintage image and I love how you have focused around it with your embellishments. I pray that your aunt makes a full recovery from this awful thing called cancer. Thank you for joining us at SOUS flourish challenge;-)

Unknown said...

So sorry about your Aunt! Your card is just beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Twist of Faith!

Susan Hogan said...

A fabulous card and I am sure both your Mum and your Aunt will take great heart from it. Cancer is not such a disastrous word these days and staying positive is important. This card will assist. The colours are beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us at Crafting with Dragonflies for our unusual folds challenge.

Today's Beautiful Moments - Tracey Fehr said...

Thanks Nancy for both the kind words and the prayers for my aunt! I always appreciate you stopping by and leaving such encouraging comments!

Today's Beautiful Moments - Tracey Fehr said...

Awww...thanks Antoinette!

Melissa said...

Very pretty, love that touch of elegance to the card, thanks for joining SOUS!

Zella said...

Tracy, so sorry to hear about your Aunt. I'm praying for your family. Your card is lovely....thanks for joining us this week at Twist of Faith...and looking so forward to working with you on the DT!

Barb said...

Stunning card--I am sure your aunt will love this beautiful creation!

Thanks for joining us at the Twist of Faith Challenge--good luck this week. We hope to see you join us in future challenges too. Barb--DT

Heather said...

Tracey, Just saw your post (from Twist of Faith) and didn't realize all that you've been going through with your extended family. My prayers for you and them that God will comfort you all and give you strength. Beautiful card. Cards come together when they are meant to be...I'm sure it will brighten her day.
{Hugs} -- Heather -- CC DT sister

Desire Fourie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your aunt and this card really says that you care. It so beautiful and is perfect for our CARING theme this month. Thanks for sharing your talent with us and good luck.
Caring Hugs
Desíre
{Path of Positivity DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Today's Beautiful Moments - Tracey Fehr said...

Thanks so much Heather! We so appreciate the prayers!

Path of Positivity said...

Wow Tracey, your creation is just stunning. Additionally, for your first time creating them, you 3D flowers turned out absolutely beautiful.

It seems that everyday we hear more and more about people being diagnosed with one form of cancer or another. As you said, if you have to be diagnosed, the words you want to hear is that it is a manageable one. I wish you and your family comfort and strength during this difficult time so soon after the loss of another family member. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair, does it? I'm sure that your aunt will be heartily encouraged by such a lovely show of care and concern.

Thank you so much for joining this month on the Path of Positivity. I'm so glad that you found my challenge and I hope that I will see more of your beautiful creations in the future.

May the sun provide warmth during these difficult times.

Lisa D., Owner

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!